Friday, July 19, 2013

Be Happy

"Happiness is not something ready made.  It comes from your own actions."
-Dalai Lama


When I made the decision to change the way that I live I chose to move towards happiness.  However, this proverbial pursuit of whatever happiness is has shown me that even though the word happiness can be defined, the feeling is an entity all its own and its definition depends purely on the seeker/possessor.  I don't believe that we stumble upon happiness or that what causes our despair now once fixed will result in immediate happiness (sure it will but its longevity is questionable).  No you can't just fall into happiness...it's a choice.  What you do determines whether or not you'll be happy.  You have to want happiness.  If you're broke today and about to lose your home winning the lottery may subdue your misery for some time but where there is light there is also darkness and distress is unfortunately always around the corner. You have to make an effort.  I am a believer in doing what's right, though I may not do right all the time.  You should strive to be good to yourself and to others.  Your happiness depends on you.  If you change, it will prompt change in your lifestyle, your friends, and your surroundings.  


It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.
-Aristotle Onassis



Be grateful for what you have even if it is very little not because it could always be worse but because you know it will get better.  Make your thoughts positive thoughts.  Everyday won't be a good day, it's just not possible or plausible but if even on those bad days you force yourself to focus on the positive things that are taking place in your life you'll be all the better for it.  Trust me, I was a very angry/sad person and though I will not dwell on my situation I have come a long way in this last year. Your despair, anger, or whatever you want to call it will hold you back if you let it.


"Seeing is deceiving,
Dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay."
-Jessie J (Who You Are)


It's okay not to be okay.  You can not possibly be happy all the time unless there's some magical entity I don't know about.  It's not going to happen.  You could fake happiness but you're only hurting yourself.  When you feel angry, upset, sad, or miserable take the time to actually feel those feelings.  You do not have to dwell in them. Let them go after you've dealt with them.  Pain shouldn't last forever.  If you can't cope with what you feel then it's time to go seek professional help.  I say this with all the sincerity in my heart.  I don't think that depression or any feeling that may cause you to harm yourself or others is a laughing matter.  If you can't pull yourself up there are people who can help.  

Our happiness can't be found through any other means than ourselves.  Why not choose to be happy?  

No comments:

Post a Comment