Wednesday, June 12, 2013

E-Mail Etiquette


Day to day we are afforded the luxury of many means of communication.  For myself, the most common means of communication (at my job) is e-mail.  Oh, electronic mail how I loathe and love thee all in one instance.   Recently in my workplace I've noticed that e-mail is replacing good old fashioned phone conversation.  Everyday I communicate with clients via e-mail and it never ceases to amaze me how many people throw etiquette to the wind when communicating via e-mail.  So today I decided to share my top 10 rules for e-mail etiquette.

1.   Spell check 
Quite frankly no one is going to take you seriously if your e-mails have typos.  It's one button and probably 3 minute worth of review.  Give your words the respect that they deserve by spelling them correctly. 

2.  Know your point of contact
I can't tell you how many e-mails I get on a regular basis detailing matters that should be addressed to our CEO.  Sending the e-mail to the correct person is the first part but also know your audience.  Please address your contact with the appropriate level of formality.



3.  Do not default to Reply All
If your response pertains to all groups that the original e-mail was sent to then reply all is okay.   However, if your response includes any information that you would prefer be kept private between yourself and the sender then why in the name of green trees would you select reply all?

4.  Keep e-mails brief
No one wants to read a novel when they open their e-mail.  Save the long conversations for good old fashioned phone conversation.

5.  Take your time
Often we use e-mail as a form of documentation.  Don't rush through what you are trying to say because that's where many mistakes are made.  In a dispute the recipient can always refer to the e-mail that you sent and guess what?  They have your mistake in writing.  

6.  All Caps?  Big no-no
It is perceived as shouting angrily.  Would you be yelling at this person face to face?  I should hope that you wouldn't because it shows a lack of respect for yourself, the person you're speaking to, and anyone that is in hearing distance.  Calm down if you're angry.  That e-mail sent in all caps could come back to bite you.

7.  Use proper capitalization
Typing an e-mail in all lowercase conveys that you are either lazy or uneducated.  I'm leaning more towards lazy.  The 'SHIFT' button is right there.  

8.  Be courteous
I'm not sure why this even had to be detailed as a rule.  You should be courteous in all means of communication.  Please and thank you are always appropriate.  

9.  Use bold text sparingly
Know that when you use bold text that you are applying emphasis to your statement.  It will be taken that way by the recipient x 10.

10.  Use when appropriate
If someone requests a return call do not send an e-mail.  Clearly they prefer phone conversation and it is probably their best means of communication.  

Honorable mention
Do not use e-mail to discuss private matters.  It's pretty obvious as to why this should not not done. E-mail can be hacked, secrets can be made public, and lives can be ruined.

There you have it...my top 10 rules when using e-mail.  While I may loathe it's integration as a primary means of communication in my office I must admit it is pretty convenient.





No comments:

Post a Comment