Thursday, January 9, 2014

Advice: Planning

"Plans are nothing; planning is everything."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower



Life is hectic and that's a fact that we all know.  Changes come up every minute and just when you think you have it all mapped out it's generally at those times that you come to a roadblock.  However, if you're looking to increase you productivity, get organized, or make the most of your free time planning is a great way to accomplish your goals.   So where do you start?  For those who are just beginning I'd like to share a few tips that have helped me.

My choice tools for planning. 
1.  Reserve a block of time during your day for planning.
For myself, this is usually at around 6:30 in the morning as I am having my cup of tea.  You can choose to map out your day whenever you please but I suggest doing this either the night before or first thing in the morning.

2.  Choose the tool that works best for you.
Whether it's an app on your phone or a planner just make sure to have something on hand that makes your tasks for the day visual.


3.  Take it day by day.
There's nothing wrong with planning ahead (monthly/annually) and I do especially when I know I have appointments, meetings, or deadlines to keep. However, my detailed planning is most effective when I list my 'to-dos' on a daily basis.  It helps me focus.

4. Mark things off.
When you've completed a task mark through it.  It's helpful to see what you accomplished and how much you can accomplish.

5.  Take it easy.
Planning is a tool for you to use to help you not stress you out.  Don't worry if you don't complete a task on the day you planned to just add it to the next day's list.  Planning is a guide and for the most part your guide is pliable.

As I always say change is inevitable and everything that we plan does not always come to fruition.  Planning is not to be mistaken with setting out a hardcore plan for your day.  It should be seen as more of a guide for your day.  Planning is a means to help you stay focused and accomplish your goals.  I hope this helps.


Thank you for reading. XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment